Planning A Visit
An experienced team of qualified teachers provides a variety of learning opportunities linked with many aspects of the National Curriculum such as History, Geography, Science, Technology, Engineering, Food….
- Guided Tour of 3 floors of the Mill aimed at the area of study.
- Demonstration of stone ground milling of flour.
- Grinding grains using a hand quern to make your own flour.
- Smart Board Activities offering an interactive learning experience.
- PowerPoint Presentations on the Mill & Nature Reserve, Gears & Pulleys, Energy.
- Study Topic 1: Producing wheat. A comparison of farming methods of now & 150 years ago + activities.
- Study Topic 2: From grain to flour. Activities + examples of a hand & saddle quern. Samples of different grains.
- Study Topic 3: Gears & pulleys. Activities + sets of gear wheels and construction parts that can be used to build different working systems of gears. Video clips to show the gears & pulleys working in the Mill.
- Study Topic 4: The History of the Mill. Activities using primary source material.
- Milly Mouse Trail. An exercise in observation & independent learning.
- Mystery photo trail. An exercise in observation & deduction.
- Can you identify these objects? An exercise in observation & deduction.
- Little Red Hen story. Child participation with puppets.
- Word Searches on topics related to the Mill.
- Loan boxes
The Nature Reserve
- Pond dipping
- Activity sheets on various topics such as flowers, leaves, birds & insects, unusual things.
Booking A Visit
The charge for a visit is currently £2.00 per pupil (minimum £20.00) for a morning or afternoon session and £3.00 per pupil (minimum £30.00) for a whole day. There is no charge for accompanying teachers or supervising adults.
Please note that a watermill can be cold and damp in the winter months, November through to March.
Before confirming a booking, we recommend that schools contact us to have a pre-visit discussion to plan a programme suited to the interests of the group, preferably on site at a time convenient to you.
To make a booking, please download the booking form or contact us by e-mail at Juniors@stotfoldmill.com